Friday, April 18, 2014

Still More to See from Alberta Artists! (Part I)

Margie against a backdrop that
showcases her talents.
Last week at the Preview for "Western Threads" ( April 10)  I chanced to meet up with Margie Davidson, a SAQA Western Canada member and Edmonton artist whom I much admire.  In addition to her fabulous sun dyeing and quilting, Margie is a knitter.  She is also a member of the Alberta Craft Council.

I'd not seen her in some time; it turns out that almost a year ago Margie suffered several injuries as a result of a cycling accident.  She is well on the road to recovery, but her journey isn't over yet, and she has had to scale back time in her studio.  That said, Margie is a trouper, passionate about her work, and continues to forge ahead as energy levels permit.

This includes appearing as artist-on-site on Thursdays at the McMullen Gallery -- located in the main floor of the University of Alberta Hospital -- with her knitted installation, Measuring a Year.   I had the delight and privilege of seeing this installation last year (scroll down) when it debuted in the Alberta Craft Council's Feature Gallery, and I commend it to anyone going to Edmonton in the near future.  The work opened at the McMullen on March 22 and runs through May 11.  I'm going to be back in Edmonton during that time and hope to visit it again, as it's been a powerful inspiration and encouragement to me in the work I am currently doing.

Speaking of the Alberta Craft Council, concurrently Margie has work in the group exhibit, "Furnish", which opened in the Feature Gallery on April 5 and runs through July 5, 2014.  I quote from the show description on the website:
The desire to furnish one’s home goes beyond the mere practical. We seek comfort, beauty, meaning and individuality along with function.  Many people reinforce who they are through their home; from a wall hanging, a handcrafted entry table, a favourite chair or a cherished ceramic serving bowl.  Designed to encourage customers to buy and collect local hand-crafted furnishings and products for their homes, this exhibition features over 50 pieces by 21 Alberta Craft Council members.
 This exhibit, too, is on my "MUST SEE" list when I am up in Edmonton for a few days in early May.  Maybe I'll see you there?  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment