Friday, December 4, 2020

The Making of The Dancer - Colour With a U Too

 Today Cathie Ugrin is sharing how her piece The Dancer came to be. Enjoy!

The Dancer was made as part of a dual Fibre Art/ Photography exhibit entitled ‘VIEWPOINTS: a unique photo-fabric journey’ featuring photographer Dmitry Kirshner and myself. The idea was that the exhibit would feature artwork created by the two of us as we played off of each other’s work. In context of The Dancer, Dmitry took an incredible photograph of a beguiling tree in winter which he called Dancer and I created my piece based on this.


DMITRY KIRSHNER’S DANCER

I blew up a photocopied image of Dancer to its actual size of 36” x 24” and traced over all the lines with a fine sharpie to ‘get the image’ in my hands. Through the hours of this meditative work, the plan for the finished piece became clear to me.

DANCER INKED

I would use Sulky Solvy Water-Soluble Stabilizer as tracing paper and recreate the background on fibre exactly as it appears on Dmitry’s photograph. This would be the element that most accurately connected the photograph and fibre art piece.


INKED BACKGROUND DETAILS


From there I trapuntoed, topstitched and appliqued the fabric tree – this element still resembles Dmitry’s tree in the photograph.

Then came the delicate winter-bare branches which always reminded me of a tutu as I was doing my tracing. So much so, I decided to completely break away from the photograph and actually make them into a tutu lending a fantastical element to my fibre art piece. Sewing directly onto the Water-Soluble Stabilizer, I created this filmy, delicate, dark mesh of thread using four different colours and two different types of thread. After immersing the whole thing in water, I was left with just the graceful lace-like thread piece that I then appliqued on to the tree.




Of all the artwork I created for our exhibit VIEWPOINTS, The Dancer was always my favourite. I learned so much as far as technique, inspiration and generally moving outside of my comfort zone. Through the crazy time-consuming process of tracing the photograph, I had an inspired idea, say an image in my head and recreated it into a piece of art I am so proud of. Dmitry and I are very good friends and it was such an honour and a delight to work together with him. Entering The Dancer and being accepted into SAQA Colour with a U Too was the perfect ending to this story.


The Dancer Artist Statement:

In the dead of a Manitoban winter, the ground is covered in a frosty blanket of snow. A tree stands alone … and comes alive.  The frost falls away as her limbs arch gracefully. Dead twigs and branches stitch together to create the illusion of a delicate skirt effortlessly floating. Hovering with the movement imagined, we gaze onto Mother Nature’s Dancer. Resilience, unity, creativity and strength are the unique qualities required to live in one of Canada’s Northern climate cities. We understand and embrace our abounding and unabashed love of what some may call the Canadian Spirit.

 Colour with a U Too will be on display from December 3rd, 2020 to February 17th, 2021 at the J. Franklin Wright Gallery in Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia.


No comments:

Post a Comment