Monday, May 2, 2016

Introducing Tracie Maryne

Tracie Maryne is a new SAQA member living in Anmore, B.C.   She surprised me recently by writing to introduce herself and make sure that her name was on the Members' List in the blog's sidebar.  That's a first for this blog admin! (grin)

In return, I asked if she would share a bit about herself and her work with her SAQA Western Canada colleagues...so may I introduce Tracie, in her own words:
Like many my love affair with fabric started when I young.  My grandmother taught me how to sew on her old Singer foot pedal sewing machine making rag dolls and Barbie clothes.  Years later with the help of summer sewing jobs, I obtained a degree in Fine Arts, majoring in ceramic sculpture.  Twenty years later, with the passing of my grandmother, I found expression through making a memory quilt to honour her and what she had taught me.  One thing lead to another and I found my way back to fabric and a new creative medium...art quilts.   The move from creating ceramic tile wall pieces to fabric art quilts seemed like a natural transition: both are piecing together of parts to make a whole.  
Most of what I have learned about art quilting has been self-taught.   My main techniques are piecing, fused appliqué, thread sketching/painting and fabric painting.   I also like to take fabric to a 3-dimensional realm in making fabric vessels.  I often use photos I have taken in my travels through life, incorporate drawings I have done or just let my imagination run and play.  I always remain open to learn new techniques and use whatever works in order for the piece to say what I want it to say.   More often then not, my work incorporates a mixture of all of the above.    
My motivation comes from a need and love to create things.  My inspiration comes from mother nature, human nature and the world around me.  I try to express a symbolic narrative of the effect these have on my inner being and reflect it to other to see and hopefully feel something of what I felt.
My work has been shown in local galleries in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area, published in art quilt magazines and has been shown and won awards in national juried competitions.
And some examples of Tracie's work...

Clematis 

Blue Moon

Blog posts come and go...but for future reference, you can find this information about Tracie on our "Featured Members" page as well.

Thanks for sharing, Tracie!

No comments:

Post a Comment