...for SAQA WC member, Cathie Ugrin of Winnipeg, MB, whose quilt, "Listen Softly", won second place in it's category (Art: Naturescapes or Pictorial) at the Quilt Canada 2016 National Juried Show!
(C) Cathie Ugrin
Her prize was what appears to be a lifetime supply of Wonderfil thread -- from the sponsors of this award. Whoa! Well done, Cathie!
And...an Invitation from SAQA Washington State Region - a Regional Conference!
SAQA Western Canada member, Terry Aske of B.C., has asked that the following message from WA State be shared with our WC region, as there may be those who are interested in attending (emphasis mine):
This quick bulletin is to let you know that we now have a link on the SAQA website to register for our first-ever regional conference: "Trajectory: Washington's Exciting Path Ahead". This one-day conference will take place on Sunday, September 11 in La Conner (at the La Conner Civic Garden Club), and it needs you to make it as fruitful and fulfilling as possible.
The highlights of the day will include:
- Mixer and opportunities to get to know SAQA members from all over the state
- A panel discussion with Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry and other artists/experts about furthering your career as an artist
- Jane Dunnewold's lecture "Creative Strength Training" and sale of her new book
- A fabulous box lunch with the filling of your choice from Calico Cupboard (gluten-free available)
- A tour of our exhibit space at the La Conner Quilt Museum (Our first regional exhibit is coming up in August of 2017). This is your chance to help plan for this exhibit.
And those are just the highlights! At $65 for admission, we feel that this is a great value (made possible by a grant - also our first - from SAQA).
Travelling from out of town? We are beginning to compile lists of hosts and people needing space. We know that for some people, both Saturday and Sunday night accommodations may be necessary. Please contact me if you have a room to offer for one or two nights, or if you need help finding a new friend to host you so that you can attend the conference.
Also, we're fortunate in our great planning committee: Mary Berden, Kate Grieshaber, and Paula Murakami. We can always use more help. Please let me know if you can pitch in. We have jobs of all sizes - big and small.Our "real" newsletter will be out soon. For now, please put September 11th on your calendar.
See you in La Conner!
Carolyn & Lisa